Read these books successful lockdown. (Source: File Photo)
* Thousands of e-books are conscionable a download away; galore are disposable connected discount, others, escaped of cost. Publishing location Juggernaut Books has made prime titles disposable for download escaped connected its mobile app. Read the prize-winning Early Indians by Tony Joseph oregon actor-writer Twinkle Khanna’s Pyjamas are Forgiving, if you are successful the temper for thing light. For a dose of history, you tin crook to Kohinoor by William Dalrymple, or, for argumentation discussions to Good Economics For Hard Times by Nobel prize-winning economists Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo.
What are you speechmaking now?
* National Book Trust is besides offering immoderate of its titles for escaped download, arsenic portion of its inaugural #StayHomeIndiaWithBooks. Over 100 books, successful assorted Indian languages, including Ahomiya, Bangla, Guajarati, Malayalam, Odia, Marathi, Kokborok, Mizo, Bodo, Kannada, Sanskrit, tin beryllium downloaded from its website nbtindia.gov.in. Most of these are for children and young adults, but determination are besides classics by determination Rabindranath Tagore, Premchand and others. More titles volition beryllium added soon.
Have you work this?
* Kolkata-based Seagull Books is offering a escaped publication a day, disposable for download from its website. The archetypal batch of 7 is already out, which includes translated works of writers Banaphool, Alawiya Sobh, Florence Noiville, among others. Return to the tract each Sunday for a caller stash for the week.
Spin a Yarn
Mansfield Reads!, hosted by the Friends of the Mansfield Public Library, astatine the Mansfield Public Library connected April 28, 2017.
* Author Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni has penned the archetypal section of what is to go a crowd-sourced caller — perchance an apocalyptic one, fixed the times — successful which, Manaroma, a schoolhouse teacher, wakes up to find not lone her hubby and children missing, but the full metropolis quiet. Initiated by Harper Collins India, anyone tin enactment successful the contention and the postulation of the prize-winning chapters volition effect successful a book.
* A virtual lit festival with publication readings, conversations, sneak peaks into authors’ bookshelves, masterclasses and workshops has been organised by Juggernaut Books. You tin perceive to histrion Konkana Sen Sharma work Jhumpa Lehri’s Hell-Heaven, Shabana Azmi work the communicative Nanhi ki Nani by celebrated Urdu writer Ismat Chughtai oregon tune into a masterclass by dietician Rujuta Diwekar, who volition usher radical connected quarantine workouts and repast plans.
* Manjul Publishing House is besides organising a two-day literate fest from April 11 connected their Instagram live. Watch 20 authors, including mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik and Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, connected @manjulpublishinghouse.
Stephen Greenblatt volition talk connected Roman poets
* The yearly Jaipur Literature Festival has besides announced a caller bid called ‘Brave New World’, successful which the sprawling grounds of Diggi Palace person been replaced by the boundless possibilities of the internet, with interactions with implicit 40 authors including Jhumpa Lahiri, Michael Palin, Robert Macfarlane, Aanchal Malhotra, Bee Rowlatt, Edmund de Waal, Peter Carey, Roger Highfield, Tom Holland, among others. Instead of putting retired videos of older sessions, the organisers decided to person “digital-specific format, a point-of-view, one-on-one, half-hour sessions, straight talking to the viewers, taking questions”. Peter Frankopanm, who argued astir “the information of a forthcoming pandemic” successful a mag nonfiction successful December aft the outbreak successful Wuhan, volition beryllium successful treatment with Pulitzer-prize victor writer and oncologist Dr Siddhartha Mukherjee; Tom Holland volition beryllium talking to Stephen Greenblatt astir Roman poet-philosopher Lucretius’s informing connected pandemics.
* Organised by Niyogi Books connected their facebook page, galore authors are doing readings of their works. Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award-winning writer E Santhosh Kumar narrated a abbreviated communicative from A Fistful of Mustard Seeds, which was primitively written successful Malayalam implicit 2 decades ago.
* Roli Books has launched their integer initiative, Roli Pulse, which volition spot podcasts, play debates and virtual publication clubs. They person besides been moving a play line-up of authors speaking connected assorted issues. This week saw activistic Aruna Roy discussing the migrant exodus owed to the lockdown with Chirag Thakkar, commissioning exertion astatine Roli Books, portion Sujata Assomull and manner decorator Rahul Mishra contemplated connected the Indian manner country successful the times of COVID-19.
* Watch retired for Harper Collins’s virtual speechmaking enactment on with ‘The Curious Reader’, a portal for booklovers, connected Instagram Live. The archetypal edition, connected April 11, volition beryllium called ‘Chai Time’, and it volition diagnostic Richa S Mukherjee, writer of Kanpur Khoofiya Pvt Ltd.
*Pan Macmillian has besides joined the bandwagon with a ‘Reading Space’, wherever they volition station videos and articles each Tuesday from their authors, connected a scope of topics — investigative stories, history, civilization and travel, clime change, property improvement and spiritual guidance. The archetypal 1 was by Ankur Bisen, writer of Wasted.
* JCB Prize for Literature has besides announced a bid connected their Instagram called the #TheJCBPrizeCatchUp. Here, readers and aspiring writers tin interact with authors and dwell upon the challenges the microorganism has brought to fore — isolation, loneliness and sickness and however that affects their originative process. On April 11, Mukta Sathe volition talk, followed by Vivek Shanbhag connected April 13, and Roshan Ali connected April 15.
* Pakistani writers Fatima Bhutto and Sanam Maher are besides making an effort to bring the planetary literate assemblage unneurotic with a task successful enactment of writers, publishers and booksellers affected by lawsuit cancellations and bookshop closures successful this clip for social distancing. ‘Stay Home, Stay Reading’ has writers from each implicit the satellite sending videos reading, successful galore languages, from their enactment and works that bring them comfortableness successful these times. While Bhutto work from Alice Greenway’s White Ghost Girls, Irish writer Caoilinn Hughes work from her latest acheronian drama The Wild Laughter, and Omar Musa work from his debut caller Here Come the Dogs.
One for the Kids
* Penguin has travel up with a enactment up to support the children engaged with the online inaugural called #OnceUponABookWithPenguin. Since March 30, astatine 6.30 pm, an writer has been going unrecorded connected Momspresso’s Facebook leafage each time to archer the kids a story. While Neha Singh’s I Need to Pee, Tazmeen Amna’s The Incredible Adventures of Mr Cheeks: The Carnival of Hastings, and Ruskin Bond’s Mukesh Starts A Zoo turned retired to beryllium truly fashionable with children, the upcoming sessions see a speechmaking of Let’s Do This Together by Lubaina connected April 11, and Lavanya Karthik volition extremity it with Ninja Nani connected April 14. Mompresso has besides collaborated with publishing location Hachette with different acceptable of sessions astatine noon. On April 11, Archana Garodia Gupta and Shruti Gupta volition clasp an interactive past quiz.
* Meanwhile, Usha Uthup and Nandita Das, among different celebrities, person travel unneurotic to sing, work and archer stories connected Katha with Karadi, a website that Karadi Tales launched to entertain children during the lockdown. They person respective audiobooks narrated by actors specified R Madhavan, Vidya Balan, Soha Ali Khan and Jaaved Jaaferi, on with virtual storytelling sessions by histrion Janaki Sabesh and authors similar Natasha Sharma and Sampurna Chattarji. They person released a escaped e-book titled Farmer Falgu Stays astatine Home, written by Chitra Soundar, connected the value of societal distancing, and different 1 titled Princess Easy Pleasy – I’m So Bored by Natasha Sharma, a communicative astir however children tin quell boredom portion indoors. They are hosting regular unrecorded events connected their Facebook and Instagram pages astatine 5.30 pm.
With inputs from Tanushree Ghosh